Friday, August 29, 2008

Happy Birthday, Davis!


As of today, my monkey boy is now a big 7 year old! It's hard to believe that my baby is in 2nd grade this year...*sigh* He's growing so tall, smart and independent that even though I'm absurdly proud of him, I have to confess it breaks my heart a little every day. Luckily for me, there are still traces of my little boy left. My favorite is that he still loves to climb in our bed and snuggle whenever he can, even though he's getting a bit too big to slip between us unnoticed now. (I swear, I wake up with bruises when he does manage to sneak in our bed. Davis is a violent sleeper!)

Davis' requested birthday menu for this evening is: grilled pork loin, corn on the cob and garlic bread. Of course I'll add some salad and fruit, just to round things out a bit. He had a really hard time deciding what kind of birthday cake he wanted. He went from a SpiderMan cake to a Squidward cake to SpongeBob cake to Ben 10 and then around in circles again. Are you noticing a theme here? None of his choices are actual flavors. He was only concerned with what the outside looked like. So then I suggested that we might make Kate's chocolate cupcakes, known from here on as "Kate-cakes", and his eyes bugged out. I made them for 2 different 4th of July parties and a family party we had while Becca, Ava and Pen the pug were here visiting this summer. Davis must've eaten more than 8 of the 30 or so I made. He LOVES them - and apparently had completely forgotten about them. So... we're having Kate-cakes in a "pirate" theme this evening instead of a regular birthday cake. That seems to be becoming the norm now, isn't it - no regular birthday cakes.

Sheesh - I wonder what kind of cake Elinor is gonna want for her birthday? Cause I already know I want carrot cake when it's my birthday next week... Hey - if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!!

2 comments:

Kate said...

Happy Bleated Birthday to Davis!! I am so happy that the recipe is such a hit!!! I feel honored!

And I'm with you, it's carrot cake hands down. Great, now I want some!!!

Kate said...

And ok, I made a typo!!! It was supposed to be BELATED!!! I type too fast for my own good!