Monday, January 19, 2009

Monday, Monday

Well, the kids are home for MLK day and while they've been mostly good, they're starting to argue and just generally get on each other's nerves. (Not to mention mine.) I've had to resort to time out several times as well as threaten to donate the toys they're fighting over to "sweet siblings who don't call each other nasty names and scream at the top of their lungs." And that got me to thinking: Do such children exist? I certainly never ran into any during my high school baby-sitting career or during my years of teaching preschool. As a matter of fact, I remember my brother and I used to go at it like cats and dogs until we hit early high school (me) and middle school (him), when we came to an unspoken mutual decision to simply ignore each other until I graduated and moved on. (Of course, we get along fine now.)

My husband, Dean, swears that he and his 3 brothers never argued or fought the way our kids do or the way I remember fighting with Daniel. I don't know about you, but I find that highly suspect. Maybe if there's a large age difference between siblings and the older one takes on a kind of parental role, but really - no fighting? I say baloney.

Wouldn't it be wonderful, though?

No comments: