Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Can I Have a Break Now?

Whew! It's been a loooong day. It isn't even 4 p.m. and I'm feeling like I could go ahead and go to bed already. I don't even think I'd bother eating supper, just collapse into a boneless pile on top of the bed.

We let the chickens out into the coop yard this morning after it had warmed up a bit. They'd been outside in the coop since Sunday, but confined to the hen house while the cold front rolled through. We actually had SNOW yesterday. It didn't stick, but still. Snow? In Georgia? In April?? If I liked cold weather I wouldn't be living as far south as I do, now would I? If this is what global warming means, color me completely unimpressed. Talk to me about it when I'm wearing Bermuda shorts in February.

So, what did we do that wiped me out so much? Now that I think back, it doesn't seem like a whole lot. The most draining part was dragging the kids from pillar to post, trying to find coordinating clothes for them to wear on Friday. Every Spring, I take the kids to have their picture taken so that I have some photographic evidence of their childhood other than the twice yearly school mugshots they bring home. It's that time of year again, so - shopping we must go! Taking my kids clothes shopping is a lot like trying to herd cats; once you get one going the right direction, the others have veered off course again. It doesn't help that we never find the right thing at the first or second (or third or fourth) store we look in, either. By store six, I had almost completely lost their cooperation and only wrested it back by offering to spring for lunch out if they would stay focused. (Eating out is a big deal to my kids, most likely because I offer to do it so seldom. Why pay someone else to make food I'm perfectly capable of making at home?) Turns out that was the perfect carrot to dangle and we bagged our outfits very soon afterwards. Outfits in hand and with full bellies, we hopped back in the car.

What I didn't tell them was that I also had planned to take them for haircuts before heading home. All four of us got our ears lowered, as a matter of fact. Bwahaha! Because we were walk-ins, we had to sit for quite a while before any of the stylists could get to us. Davis got his usual all-over clipper cut. Tilly had about 2 inches cut, while Elinor had her bangs and dead ends trimmed. I went for the more radical change, adding long layers and cutting about 4 inches off the ends. My head feels about 8 pounds lighter now. Summer hair - I love it!

Tomorrow I'm taking the kids to see Monster Vs. Aliens. They're really looking forward to it and so am I! I think I will go to bed early tonight, so there won't be any chance of my zonking out during the movie...

1 comment:

ginny said...

I certainly hope that you did go to bed early. One of the most draining activities from my children's childhood was the dreaded clothes-shopping ventures! They disliked it intensely and so did I. Of course, when the girls hit the teenage years they loved it---too much. Naturally, I was not invited then! LOL!
Can't wait to see your new beads next week!
Ginny